The Campaign to TaxTheSuperRich is a California wide grassroots effort to get an initiative on the ballot to add a 10% tax on the top 1%.
- Taxing the super rich is not a new idea – it is often talked about. The decision to make it into an actual campaign comes out of the flatlands of east Oakland. Some of us have been active for years pushing back against the deteriorating schools, under employment and violence. Even in the best of times desperately needed programs are underfunded. With the economic crisis – it has become a disaster.
- The vast majority of Californians face similar hardships. We did not cause the crisis but we are sure paying for it with overwork and retirement insecurity, unemployment or furloughs, escalating college costs, foreclosures, deteriorating schools and draconian cuts to desperately needed services.
- Our political leaders have made it clear the only solutions to the California deficit they will consider are more cuts to vital programs and/or taxes that fall heaviest on the backs of those already hardest hit.
- We want a more equitable solution – where the richest among us are required to contribute a fairer share.
- To win this initiative campaign requires a huge number of us to pull together – working people and the unemployed, students and teachers, youth and seniors, professionals and non professionals alike – Californians in all our wonderful diversity. Key to our success is uniting with and partnering with the organizations that share our interests – our unions, our community organizations and our churches where we are connected.
Help build the Campaign to TaxTheSuperRich.
Subscribe to this site. We need email addresses and zip codes to prepare for petitioning
Help us get the word out.
Talk to your friends, neighbors and co workers. Pass on our flyers.
Friend us on Facebook. Post our info on your wall.
Follow us on Twitter
Connect us up with your organizations
Organize meetings where we can come and make a presentation and answer questions.